How could we improve Pillow?

Vibrate with haptic feedback in the Watch

Use the watch haptic feedback as an alarm, allow me to silence the alarm otherwise. I use haptic feedback for everything else, want a silent smart alarm.

295 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ems4kifeEms4kife shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    NeyboxAdminNeybox (Admin, Neybox) responded  · 

Thank you everyone for the feedback. At the moment it is technically impossible to vibrate with haptic feedback for Pillow. In simple terms only apps that are in the foreground have limited access to habit feedback whereas Pillow works in the background and it is not allowed for third-party apps to bring the app in the foreground at a scheduled time, such as an alarm. We would gladly support this if it becomes possible on a future update of the watchOS

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adam LoganAdam Logan commented  · 

FYI a power nap app called Power Nap With Health Sync has just come out with an update where they figured out how to get a proper haptic feedback as an alarm. If they can't do it why can't you?

Edit: Perusing more recent comments I can see how they might be able to achieve this whereas you cannot. The longest nap is 90 minutes on the Apple Watch with their App. It's nice to finally have a 3rd party nap app I can use (although it's still not "smart")

As a deaf person, this is spit in the face concerning accessibilty. I should not be limited to the stock Apple Watch Alarm clock app just because I'm deaf…

Link to Power Nap With Health Sync below:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/power-nap-with-health-sync/id982370930?mt=8

What you CAN do without restrictions from Apple is get on top of smart lighting, make a dawn and dusk simulation to trigger going to sleep and waking up for deaf people. Hue lights and Lifx would be good starts. Sleepcycle has had a dumbed down feature like this for ages (just turning off the light when going to bed, and brightening the light to white at wake up). I'd like to see you at the very least match that and more ideally, fill out the feature into something cool and worthy of an audible "ooh" or "wow".

• NeyboxAdminNeybox (Admin, Neybox) commented  · 

@Anonymous Apps by Apple have been using haptic feedback since day one. Third party apps like Pillow don't have the same access to those frameworks but this is starting to change with the Workouts framework on watchOS 3.x for workout apps. We're optimistic that this functionality will eventually be available to more app categories soon.

Sleep prediction algorithms are not directly related to the use of haptic feedback on the Apple Watch but we are looking into it for other reasons. "Automatic" detection of sleep start and stop times could be done using heart rate data only. However, from our research, sleep analysis using heart rata data only, can produce very inaccurate results. That is why in Pillow we use motion data, heart rate data and sound (if the session uses the iPhone too). To use motion data from the Watch, the user must start and stop the sleep session explicitly due to watchOS limitations.

• Anonymous commented  · 

@neyboxInteractive Apple has managed to do this, also Lark App uses a very accurate algorithm to "predict" sleep sessions.

• NeyboxAdminNeybox (Admin, Neybox) commented  · 

Thank you Edd WJ for the comment. The thread you are referring to is for apps that use the Workout framework. Using that framework, it is possible to provide haptic feedback for apps that run in the background.

Pillow, however, cannot use this framework since sleep tracking is not considered a workout and workouts usually last a few minutes whereas Pillow has to run in the background for many hours which is well beyond the intended use of this framework.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Yeah please add this feature as soon as possible. It's very desired not to wake up other people in a room!

• Adam LoganAdam Logan commented  · 

This feature was what I expected when I bought this app, and this is something I really need as a deaf person. Sounds are not going to cut it for me. Perhaps if you make the case to Apple about accessibility issues, they might work something out with you.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree, I haptic approach to the watch would be a great idea! With as sophisticated an app as you have here, I can't understand why this has not been accomplished yet.

• Jonathan BlackmanJonathan Blackman commented  · 

Please continue to research this option. I also do not want to keep my phone by my bed. I usually have it downstairs charging so it would be nice if the mic on the watch could be used as well.

• FabioFabio commented  · 

As per last comment. Vibration from background apps it's possible with watchos3. Does that mean we are getting the alarm on the watch?

• BenjaminBenjamin commented  · 

WatchOS 3 allows 3rd party workout apps to send haptic feedbacks during active workout sessions (see session 235 from WWDC 2016). I don't know if Pillow could take advantage of such features, but it seems like it could since it works in the same vein as other workout apps. I'm excited for the improvement you make to this app in the future!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Basis Peak had a silent alarm, was just an alarm set for a specific time though. Having even this would be a great feature!

• AlexAlex commented  · 

I just don't use the smart wake up feature on the app, I use only the cycles and sound recording feature, and the regular silent alarm on my watch.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I would pay money for a silent Apple Watch alarm added to this app

• RuthRuth commented  · 

Yes, I agree! The alarm is the only thing I don't like. I'm use to my watch' gentle alarm and I want to find a way to turn of the Pillow alarm. Regardless to how nice the music, it's an intrusion of my quiet morning before I'm ready.

Feedback and Knowledge Base