How could we improve Pillow?

Automatic sleep tracking every night!

There is a new app in the store called Auto Sleep that automatically tracks your sleep every night, even if you forget to open the app before you fall asleep!

It uses the motion sensors on the watch, so even if you fell asleep before you remembered to start the app, when you wake up in the morning and open the app, it will still upload your movement data from the night and give you an analysis.

So the only time you have to remember to open the app before you fall asleep is if you want the sound recording or smart alarm.

The most amazing thing is it doesn't even have a watch app. Just an iPhone app. So apparently the watch movement data from the previous night is able to be imported after the fact, even without a watch app.

This is HUGE! Right now with Pillow I forget to start the app at least 2-3 nights a week, meaning I lose data for those nights. With an auto sleep tracking function, I would never miss a night ever again.

The only time I'd ever have to remember to start the app is if I want the audio recordings.

Please consider adding this ability.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Neybox InteractiveAdminNeybox Interactive (Admin, Neybox) responded  · 

Hello, thank you for your feedback. It’s currently impossible to get motion data from the Apple Watch without having an Apple Watch app and explicitly starting/stopping a session. That is the reason Pillow requires both as required by iOS and watchOS. Any app that claims to do otherwise probably estimates motion indirectly using other data sources such as heart rate data, steps, sleep data from other apps etc., which can be accessed without having an Apple Watch or explicit access to motion data.

We are looking into automatic sleep tracking but, from our tests so far, without access to motion data the accuracy of the sleep analysis can be way off so we can’t make any promises yet. Hopefully upcoming versions of iOS and watchOS will also lift those restrictions and in any case we will post updates as we make progress.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Neybox InteractiveAdminNeybox Interactive (Admin, Neybox) commented  · 

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. A high rating does not imply accuracy...

We're working hard to explore automatic sleep tracking and it's something that we really want implement. We've made significant progress in that regard but we can't make any promises yet.

• Anonymous commented  · 

But since Pillow already has a Watch app, and other apps offer this (with very high ratings in the App Store from a lot of seemily happy customers) it seems like there should be some happy medium.

I appreciate that you are concerned about accuracy, but if I forget to start the Pillow app half the nights, then I have zero data to analyze those nights. So some data would be bettter than none in my opinion.

I would love the ability to start both the Watch and iPhone apps when I remember, but also have the Pillow app pull in motion and heart rate data from Apple Health to fill in the gaps for the night's I forget to start it before I fall asleep.

Feedback and Knowledge Base