How could we improve Pillow?

Automatic sleep tracking every night!

There is a new app in the store called Auto Sleep that automatically tracks your sleep every night, even if you forget to open the app before you fall asleep!

It uses the motion sensors on the watch, so even if you fell asleep before you remembered to start the app, when you wake up in the morning and open the app, it will still upload your movement data from the night and give you an analysis.

So the only time you have to remember to open the app before you fall asleep is if you want the sound recording or smart alarm.

The most amazing thing is it doesn't even have a watch app. Just an iPhone app. So apparently the watch movement data from the previous night is able to be imported after the fact, even without a watch app.

This is HUGE! Right now with Pillow I forget to start the app at least 2-3 nights a week, meaning I lose data for those nights. With an auto sleep tracking function, I would never miss a night ever again.

The only time I'd ever have to remember to start the app is if I want the audio recordings.

Please consider adding this ability.

54 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

You may do this "auto" feature using heart rate data from Apple Health. All these wrist HR sensors supply it there in real time. Some of them do it automatically, some - manually, but they measure HR every 15-25 min in their respective "sleep mode". E.g. I have Mio Fuse, I activate sleep mode manually, and I can see all HR data in Apple Health appear instantly.

For the rest of users, who don't have such HR sensors, you can continue to "think how to reliably implement this feature". But why should we wait?

• KevinKevin commented  · 

Search Auto Sleep keyword in AppStore will give a good solution.

• NeyboxAdminNeybox (Admin, Neybox) commented  · 

The status (planned, under review) on this forum is not an indication of which feature is prioritized over another. Both automatic sleep tracking and session trimming are in the works and, in many ways, linked together.

Automatic sleep tracking is still something we explore, and we are optimistic about, but we have to make sure it's accurate and reliable enough. Even then, the algorithm might need periods of training and other adjustments. Automatic detection and calculation, at the moment, can only be performed using very indirect methods, and limited data, compared to manual sleep tracking, so there could always be the possibility of a false positive. Even dedicated sleep trackers can get things wrong. In those cases, having the ability to edit a sleep session will be very useful, even as an auxiliary training method. Hopefully, watchOS and Apple Watch hardware will provide us with enough access to enough data in the future, to ensure a 100% prediction, but we're still a bit far from that moment.

Also, the majority of our customers don't use the Apple Watch or another wearable device that would provide data based upon which automatic sleep detection would be possible. They track their sleep manually with their iPhone or iPad and Pillow will still offer the option to track sleep manually using those devices only. Having a way to edit sleep sessions will be very useful for those customers as well.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I just don't understand something here. There is another feature request PLANNED which will allow a user to edit sleep time if he/she forgot to stop Pillow after waking up. Why was that feature prioritized over this feature request?

If auto tracking is in place then it should know when the user went to sleep and when woke up. Then there is nothing to edit. Over time the pattern will emerge and you can provide better and more accurate data to the users. Since you have the watch app, the only requirement should be to ware the watch for Auto Tracking feature. After all the ultimate inaccurate data is no data. I don't buy your argument.

• ScottScott commented  · 

Thanks for The explanation and for not just jamming in a feature that sounds cool but doesn't really work to your standards.

• NeyboxAdminNeybox (Admin, Neybox) commented  · 

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. A high rating does not imply accuracy...

We're working hard to explore automatic sleep tracking and it's something that we really want implement. We've made significant progress in that regard but we can't make any promises yet.

• Anonymous commented  · 

But since Pillow already has a Watch app, and other apps offer this (with very high ratings in the App Store from a lot of seemily happy customers) it seems like there should be some happy medium.

I appreciate that you are concerned about accuracy, but if I forget to start the Pillow app half the nights, then I have zero data to analyze those nights. So some data would be bettter than none in my opinion.

I would love the ability to start both the Watch and iPhone apps when I remember, but also have the Pillow app pull in motion and heart rate data from Apple Health to fill in the gaps for the night's I forget to start it before I fall asleep.

Feedback and Knowledge Base